Questioning RH's decisions to remain a viable and independentcompany?

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 4 20:25:08 UTC 2003

Elton Woo said:

>> > You have a point. Given the financial situation of Mandrake, I suppose
>> > they must be dying to sell.
>
> <*chuckle*> ... You seem to have given voice to what I've been thinking
> secretly: possibly Red Hat will acquire Mandrake ... thereby giving them
> access to other markets, and being able to provide products that
> are not strictured by US governance (think certain codecs... for example).

Sigh.  Red Hat is still based in the USA.  Not a comment to you, but just
in general, get over it.  I don't think it is going far out on a limb to
say there will NEVER be anything MP3 related come out of Red Hat (or
Fedora) in an official capacity.  Repeat as necessary for any "certain
codecs" that have patent or license restrictions.

> Mandrake is already an rpm-based distro, and though it has diverged
> somewhat
> from the Red Hat Linux structure, it is not totally 'alien'. For that
> matter,
> FC + Mandrake = (possible) shrinkwrap for the SOHO's and hobbyists. With
> RHEL for Red Hat's main breadwinner: the corporate customers.

Oh yes, because it is obvious that the model that was horribly not
profitable for Mandrake is so much superior to the model that wasn't
profitable for RH.

I don't see any reason for Red Hat to aquire any other Linux distro company.
--
William Hooper