while we're waiting for Fedora Core (GA) ...

nosp nosp at xades.com
Wed Nov 5 01:16:48 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 20:15, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 07:58:10PM +0000, nosp wrote:
>
>  > > http://www.linuxant.com/company/press_dldr.php
>  > > LINUXANT RELEASES NEW DRIVERLOADER™ FOR INTEL CENTRINO, INTERSIL, BROADCOM,
>  > > ATHEROS, AND OTHER WIRELESS LAN DEVICES
>  > A great candidate for Fedora / Fedora extras, license permitting...
>
> "lack of taste" permitting maybe.

Reading the Fedora Terminology closer, I guess the linuxant software is
open source (thus maybe eligible for Fedora Core/Extras/etc.) but of
since the windows centrino driver is binary as pointed out by more
reflective readers of this list, that won't be in Fedora ever.

And yeah, I do buy (I think it was) Alan's recent argument re free <-->
non-free software interaction: that it makes more sense to push for
free/open standards support than to reverse-engineer or "wrap" non-free
stuff, if that's what you mean.  But if I can use my centrino wi-fi +
linux to write those emails / do other advocacy stuff in the meantime,
all the better.

Is there any hope of real linux support from Intel/Centrino?  I remember
signing a petition
(http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?xanthan) but haven't
seen anything lately...