Extreme pain trying to report bugs with Fedora Test 3

Justin Clift jclift at ims.telstra.com.au
Wed Nov 5 02:27:45 UTC 2003

Hi everyone,

After loading Fedora Test 3 yesterday and finding a bug with the
OpenOffice.org links, I felt that I might as well do a bug report.

However, the process for getting bug reports to the Fedora project is a
really complete Pain in the arse - to the point where I very nearly
didn't bother in fact - so I'm betting that a lot of other people are
also wanting to report bugs but not actually getting it done.

Here's the process I followed:

  + Started Mozilla and it immediately displays the 0.95 Release Notes.

    Nothing really obvious here on how to report bugs.

  + Went to the FAQ.

    Turns out it's just a "general" FAQ with no useful info about
reporting bugs.

  + Clicked on the "Participate" link on the left hand side.

    It has a "How to Participate" list and one of the listed options is
"Reporting Bugs".  However, none of the listed options are links to the
appropriate places (probably an easy fix, and would be greatly helpful).

    After looking through all the sections the only one that seems like
it's useful for reporting bugs is the "Communicate" one that gives
mailing list info.

    My guts feeling here is that if there is a place for reporting bugs
(Bugzilla or something other than having to join a mailing list?) then
perhaps it would be beneficial to make it easier for people to find it?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
Snowmen fall from Heaven unassembled.