development

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Wed Nov 5 21:08:09 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 05 November 2003 15:42, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Gene C. (czar at czarc.net) said:
> > I was browsing around the directory trees for fedora and found that
> > http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/
> > appears to be yet another version of rawhide.  It currently has a problem
> > in that some of the packages (e.g., openoffice and rpmdb-fedora) have
> > multiple versions of the same package.
>
> rawhide is moving to this location.

Sounds like rawhide -> fedora/development (no more rawhide as such).

Overall, I like what I see of the structure implied by the directory trees:

-- Core as released
-- Updates for Core
-- Proposed updates which are currently under testing
-- Development (which will be unstable at times)

My hope is that "minor" stuff which is usually "fixed in rawhide" will make it
to testing if not true Errata (updates).  I assume that Updates (errata) will
have some QA expended but that "Testing" will not and Development will
definitely not have any QA or even any promise that it works.  Since people
creating packages may have some idea if a change is big or small, they might
have a better idea as to wheather a particular package fits under Testing or
Development.

Well, that is my hope.  I assume that the folks at Red Hat have some idea how
this will work and that idea is probably evolving.
--
Gene