upgrade from RH9 to Fedora

Mike Lurk mike.lurk at sympatico.ca
Wed Nov 5 21:11:14 UTC 2003

From: "Don" <dnrlinux at san.rr.com>
To: <fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
Subject: RE: upgrade from RH9 to Fedora
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:44:22 -0800

Scott,
I like to do "clean installs" too... I did that when I installed FCT2
and
FCT3, and will when FC1 is out as well. Right now I don't care if I
reformat
the entire drive... I bought a second drive just for the purpose of
running
Linux.... but when Linux starts actually replacing my Windows system, I
won't have the luxury of simply reformatting the entire disk....

What do you do to preserve the contents of /home and other directories?

I wish there were an option in the install process that allowed
"everything
to be wiped out" except for the user stuff.
I suspect this is easier said that done though because apps might have a
tendency to put stuff in various directories... like maybe a certain app
installs fonts it needs.... I might not want those put in the X11
directory,
but that might be "convenient" for the app....

Do what I do, Create a separate partition for the /home directory, then
you could format the other partitions before installing FC1. That way
you preserve all your data as well as the other stuff you want to keep
like downloads.

Mike