[OT] Novell to Aquire SUSE

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Wed Nov 5 23:34:31 UTC 2003

jdow wrote:

> And I am about to jump ship for debian. I can't run a home office
> firewall on something that is in perpetual alpha state, fedora. And I
> cannot afford the idiot prices or compile times for the Red Hat
> releases. I don't blame your UG friends bailing. It's good sense.

Yes, I'm thinking about Debian myself. I wouldn't call Fedora Core alpha
state software, but I agree that it's not server-ready. The last
server-ready version has been RHL 7.3, and I need a solution before its
end of life. I hope Fedora-Legacy will be ready by then.
http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy Otherwise I'm forced to either
find another suitable Linux distro (Debian is the only one I found that
fits my requirements) or revert back to Win2k Professional (yes, at work
management insísts on using "cheap" OSes). The only way I could sell Red
Hat Linux to my management was stability (everything, including updates,
needs to be validated) and the price. Installimg a new OS version every
6 months is inacceptable, I need a lifetime of at least 1.5 years, and I
need a rock solid distro. And there is no way that RHEL (which I would
like to use!) beats Win2kPro in price. That marketing segment is no
longer covered by Red Hat - looks like it doesn't generate revenue. Sad
but true, and I need to find a solution. Not that I like it...

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Red Hat Linux 9 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/