More details on performing FTP installation of Fedora?

nosp nosp at xades.com
Fri Nov 7 00:26:35 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 00:13, Mark G. Spencer wrote:
> I haven't done a FTP install of an OS before.  Could someone explain to me what needs to be done?  I'm hopefully going to do this on an old laptop with a PCMCIA IBM Credit Card Ethernet II adapter.

In a nutshell, you have to get your target machine to boot to the fedora
installer, and then tell the installer the installation files are on
your ftp server.

To start the process you need to boot your target machine such that you
can access your FTP server.  For a laptop with a PCMCIA network adapter,
you will probably need to burn one CD or 2two to three floppies.

Look in the images directory of the Yarrow iso/disk #1.  You will see
boot.iso and some *.img files.  If your laptop has a CDROM, burn the
boot.iso image and boot from the resulting CD.  Then follow the prompts
and select an FTP server as the source of the installation disks at the
appropriate time.  If you have to use floppies, you probably need to
create at least two floppies, one from the bootnet.img and one from the
pcmcia*.img file.  Then boot from the bootnet.img floppy and read the
help at the bootup screen to find out how to load drivers from
additional disks (IIRC, you type "linux dd" at the boot prompt and
insert your pcmcia disk when done).

But don't take my word for it, check out the documentation at:
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/#boot (note the RedHat 9 installation
instructions link; apart from the different floppy disk image names, the
instructions are still valid).

Good luck.