Troubles creating sessions

Fernando Álvarez-Uría fernando.alvarez-uria at ya.com
Tue Nov 11 23:48:29 UTC 2003

Pedro Silva escribió:
> On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 21:49, Fernando Álvarez-Uría wrote:
>
>>Hi all!
>>
>>Ive just installed xfce4; it creates an entry in /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions
>>called Xfce4, but it doesnt appear in the menu of gdm (the loging screen).
>>
>>Does anyone knows where to place the scripts for starting new sessions
>>of window managers?
>>
>>Untill redhat9, it was done as usual: putting the script in
>>/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions.
>

> Hi!
>
> I've just installed XFce4 through rpms (from xfce.org) and have the same
> problem.
> I found a way to make it work but it's no solution. During login, choose
> Failsafe Terminal from session menu. This will log you in only with a
> xterm window. In xterm execute: /usr/bin/startxfce4.
> This will start XFCE, but you can never close the first xterm because it
> will log you out.
>
> Hoping to get a xfce freshrpm soon.

Thank you. I have already tried this; what im wondering is where is the
information that gdm needs to be able to manage other sessions than
gnome, kde or failsafe.

I dont know the reason of this change of behavior, but im not sure it
benefits so much this distro...

--
Fernando Álvarez-Uría
Madrid, Spain