yum vs rpm.

Kevin Francis kevin at loose-screws.com
Thu Nov 13 13:27:35 UTC 2003

Indeed. But the average user thinks this way:

"Ohhhh apt-get is fast! Let's get that!"

I kill yum regularly ( it's a reflex whenever i perform something I
don't want to ), and experience no lockups.

ALL lockups on the list however are apt-related. I see a pattern. Yes,
yum is less feature complete, but ... pinning packages, and specifying
sources per package aren't what normal people do.

Yes, right tool for the right job :) Simple
updates/upgrades/distro-upgrades are yum-able. Pinning etc. ... well the
power users can use apt.

Just a thought though.

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 21:17, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Kevin Francis wrote:
>
> > I am going to assume here, that yum is the tool of choice for Fedora Core.
> >
> > If that assumption is correct, we should discourage people from using
> > apt-get/synaptic, seeing as how this is a sure fire way of seeing those
> > `rpm lock-up' complaints.
>
> Oh that's just bollocks.. on RHL 9, if you didn't update rpm to 4.2-1
> hitting ctrl-c in mid-flight was a sure way to get rpm to hang, however
> that was a bug in rpm, not apt/synaptic. The original rpm from RHL 8.0 has
> similar problems (but a different bug), fixed by updating to rpm-4.1.1.
> The former didn't trigger in yum, the latter did (IIRC) but that's got
> nothing to do with the issue really. rpm-4.2.1 in FC 1 seems to be quite
> ok, haven't had any lockups under normal conditions (rpmlib-related
> development doesn't count as normal conditions :) Kill *any* rpm-related
> installer with kill -9 and you have a lockup, by definition, for that
> matter.
>
> Yum is included in FC1, apt+synaptic only as extras (in fedora.us until
> the real merger occurs) currently but that might change at some point..
> People have different needs & tastes, yum doesn't do everything apt does
> and vice versa - use the right tool for the job.
>
> 	- Panu -
>

> --
Kevin Francis
<http://denial.loose-screws.com/>