frustration: mailing lists and bugzilla reports

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Nov 13 16:14:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 16:49, Will Backman wrote:

> > > I figure that some of this is due to a lack of leadership structure.
> > > The leadership page is still a draft, mentions an advisory and technical
> > > committee, but has yet to add members or even describe how members are
> > > chosen.
> >
> > I don't quite see how it is related. If we select some form of
> > leadership, how will the bugs I don't have time to fix get fixed?
> >

> While anyone can fix a bug and post an rpm somewhere on the net, many
> users only want to draw from "sanctioned" repositories.  At this point,
> all the burden is on a few wonderful folks at RedHat to fill those
> sanctioned repositories.  I think this is the problem that RedHat is
> trying to avoid by making Fedora a community project and also merging
> with the fedora.us team.  Why else merge with fedora.us?
>
> We need a way to spread the load, but at the same time providing quality
> screens.  I assumed that the "Advisory" and "Technical" committees would
> address those issues, although I may have been reading too much into
> "the duties, responsibilities, and members of the advisory committee
> have not been completely decided."

Sure. Given a larger community working on bugfixing etc, and some way to
ensure quality of the changes to the codebase things might go faster.
But its really not fixing the problem, just making it slighly better.
Anyone can fix stuff in upstream Gnome, and any good fixes will be
commited to the gnome cvs tree (and many are). But there are still lots
of bugs in gnome bugzilla that are not fixed.

The reality is that you just can't rely on a bug filed to be fixed
immediately (unless you help fix it yourself). The people working on the
distro (be they redhat employees or not) all have their own priorities
and limited time.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's a suave vegetarian dog-catcher with no name. She's a pregnant snooty
museum curator with a birthmark shaped like Liberty's torch. They fight crime!