xhost not working?

Tom Cross tomc at cloudnet.com
Thu Nov 13 16:42:06 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 14:12, Satish Balay wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Jay Harris wrote:
>
> > While we're waiting for the download... has the Xserver changed
> > the way it allows incoming windows?  I can no longer get Xwindows
> > to display on my FCT3 desktop from RH9 or Solaris boxes. It seems
> > xhost+ has no affect. I didn't notice this earlier since most of
> > my windowing is now done through ssh.
>
> Xserver no longer listings on the tcp port - which is required for
> your - non-ssh-x11-forward stuff to work.
>
> If you wish to enable this - add the following to /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf - and restart X
>
> DisallowTCP=false
>
> Disclaimer: this usage - via 'xhost +' is insecure - and should be avoided.

(I'm having this same trouble)

I changed this setting and now I can get remote linux boxes to display
xterms/xloads/etc, but I can't get my solaris box to do it.  It appears
to just time out.  After a long delay I simply get a "cannot open
display hostname:0".  :-(

I have no firewall running, the host is listed when I do 'xhost', it is
using a shared NFS home directory and I changed gdm to put the X cookie
thingy on my NFS home directory so the solaris box should be able to do
this.

The command:
/usr/X11R6/bin/xon solarisbox /usr/openwin/bin/xterm -display hostname:0

It works fine with my rh9 workstations...

Any ideas?

--
Tom Cross <tomc at cloudnet.com>