Well supported, reliable NICs for Redhat Linux/Fedora?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Nov 19 18:33:13 UTC 2003

On Monday 17 November 2003 05:31 pm, Jesse Keating wrote:
> And what size disk to you expect to use to get 1TB per U?  How long has
> 140~ gig been the upper limit on SCSI disks?

It isn't.  Seagate has a 182MB SCSI disk.  Although it's only 7200RPM. (models
ST1181677LCV and LWV)

> The argument is that
> certain technologies while not necessary for you may be necessary for
> your neighboor, and shouldn't be discounted.

I figured you'd get the fact that I was continuing your line of thought on
that...

SATA seems like a good inside the box disk option. Cabling is certainly a big
plus, although I question the need for Yet Another Power Connector.  For
outside the box and really big arrays fibre channel is the clear winner in
terms of performance and capacity, with arrays being able to be split amongst
different towns if need be (given that they're within a few km of each
other).  But SCSI still has its advantages for many things.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology