Well supported, reliable NICs for Redhat Linux/Fedora?

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Nov 19 20:04:35 UTC 2003

> AFAIK, SCSI is still the only hard drive interface that supports low level
> formatting. I can't tell you the number of IDE/EIDE hard drives I've had
> to throw away over the years because power failures during write ops that
> corrupt sector headers. Some later model EIDE drives can map those "bad"
> spots away, but only SCSI allows you to repair that damage by laying down
> new sectors, headers, gaps, etc.

Most SCSI drives can't do that either. The tools needed to do it are just
too complex to embed in the drive.

> There are only two types of EIDE server drive users:  those who have

s/EIDE server//

Disks fail. Reliability MTBF values vary by price of disk, but not because
of the interface. A 15000 rpm SATA2 drive with SCSI grade reliability is
going to cost SCSI like prices, but the controller is going to be a lot
cheaper, as are the cables