Fedora Core 1 Test Update: postgresql-7.3.4-10

David Jee djee at redhat.com
Fri Nov 21 20:18:24 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 14:56, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Friday 21 November 2003 01:43 pm, David Jee wrote:
> > However, the GUI tools will be available via sources.redhat.com/rhdb
> > very soon.  We are also planning on setting up a yum-repository for all
> > RHDB packages.
>
> Are these different from the ones that hae been available there for some time?
> If so, how different?

For Visual Explain, I believe there were some small bug fixes, but
nothing major.

Administrator has been completely rewritten in Java; the old one was
written in tcl/tk.  However, the Java Administrator's functionality is
almost identical to the tcl version.

Control Center is a new tool, and it is still in beta stage.  It is also
written in Java.

> > I want to mention two things about the rh-postgresql packages.  The
> > first is that the backported patches in rh-postgresql are actually
> > rolled into a giant 7.2M patch, which is a diff between the pristine
> > 7.3.4 branch and our own branch that contains the backports.
>
> How does this relate to version 7.4?  Are most of the backports from 7.4?
> (I'm thinking most are, but....)

Tom Lane would be the best person to ask, but AFAIK, most (if not all)
of the backports are from 7.4.

> I released 7.4 upstream packages today, based on the work Kaj did, and built
> for Fedora Core.  They have trouble building on older dists, but I'm working
> on that.

Great!  I'll have a look at them very shortly.  I'm not sure though if I
want to release a 7.4 update for Fedora Core 1, due to data
incompatibility reasons.  We usually don't jump major versions within a
distro, but perhaps this rule can be relaxed for Fedora.  In any case,
the 7.4 packages will go into Fedora Core 2.

-David Jee