arjan's 2.6test kernels and sound

Pavel Rosenboim pavelr at coresma.com
Sun Nov 23 09:02:10 UTC 2003

Joshua Legbandt wrote:
> I've tried Arjan's test kernels in the past and discarded them due to
> their inability to work with my wireless pcmcia card, but they all
> loaded the sound modules properly on boot. I've installed Arjan's
> kernel-2.6.0-0.test9.1.90 kernel which happily works with my pcmcia card
> for wireless (which has always worked with vanilla 2.6test kernels), but
> the sound modules no longer load on boot. The also appears to happens
> with a vanilla 2.6test kernel (2.6-test9-bk17). I can't correlate this
> to another other updates that I have done. The modules load properly
> with modprobe.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on this?

It looks like latest -bk snapshots try to load module by slightly
different names. If, for example, it tried to load char-major-14 for
mixer device, now it tries to load char-major-14-<minor dev number>.

I fixed this problem by changing in /etc/modprobe.conf
alias char-major-14 soundcore
by
alias char-major-14-* soundcore.

same goes for NVidia drivers, where I had to change
alias char-major-195 nvidia
by
alias char-major-195-* nvidia

HTH

P.S. I hope someone can elaborate on why this behavior changed.

Pavel.