Fedora Core 1 Test Update: postgresql-7.3.4-10

Karl DeBisschop kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com
Mon Nov 24 12:41:22 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 02:22, Bruce A. Locke wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 18:29, David Jee wrote:
>
> > This update replaces the current series of 'postgresql' packages in
> > Fedora with an improved set of packages that was formerly called
> > 'rh-postgresql'. rh-postgresql was a part of RHDB, and it is now being
> > integrated into Fedora Core.  rh-postgresql includes bug fixes and
> > performance enhancements which are backported from the upstream
> > development branch.
>
> I'm sure I'm going to get smacked for this but... why is this going in
> as a Fedora 1 update?  This description makes it sound like a major
> feature upgrade which quite frankly should not be an 'update' for a
> released version.
>
> Am I reading too much into this or way off base?

Hopefully I'm not smacking you, but I do somewhat disagree.

To me, one of the virtues of Fedora is that the idea that the feature
set is not locked down during the course of a release. This mostly
happens because Fedora will do less backporting, so newer features will
'naturally' drift in . So yes, this is odd in that the features come in
by way of backporting. But I won't refuse the gift.

When I object, is when the feature additions can be expected to cause
incompatibilities. So as long as the result is stable and the backported
features do not require an initdb, I'm happy.

--
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com>