opteron 64-bit isos?

Justin M. Forbes 64bit_fedora at comcast.net
Tue Nov 25 16:19:47 UTC 2003

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 10:54:09AM -0500, C Moss wrote:
> Any more details available on this?
>
> Specifically what forward progress has been made?

The kernel is much closer now, it boots on AMD64 systems, AGPgart, DMA
mode, ATA133 for NF3 chipsets works, and the needed ia32syscalls have been
implemented.  Particularly what is left is:

- Fix futex issue (Required for Test release)
- SATA support for Sil (Desired, but not required)

> What approach has been taken?

- davej did the initial work to merge the required nptl changes, etc to
  AMD64
- We began working on missing pieces, drivers, etc for a stable working
  kernel, see status above for what is left as a *must*
- I have set up a distro tree with the required 32bit compat libs and
  applications which are required for one reason or another (Open Office,
  32bit mozilla for plugins), and 64bit for everything else.
- Fix, build, test...repeat

> Who is working on this?

Currently Dave Jones and Myself, with direction from Michael Johnson, and
input from developers on IRC and emails.

> What can we do to help/test?

Hopefully a pre-test1 (may cause dmg, use at your own risk, etc) tree will
be made axfvailaxvble sooni for the brave, otherwise, wait for an announcement of test1 isos
being made available.

> Is <http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/x86_64/>
> the best place to track development?

Not really, this is what used to be the old Rawhide tree, our current AMD64
tree is in synch with FC1 plus updates in a released or test state.  That
development tree is from the build system, and not necessarily reflective
of the AMD64 FC1 tree.

> I don't see much x86_64 traffic on the lists at the moment,
> which list would be most active re: amd64

There has been little traffic as of late, but expect to see traffic here
when test1 is made available.

Justin M. Forbes