Open Carpet

Tue Nov 25 17:01:11 UTC 2003

> I have a sort of red-carpet messed up Fedora installation. I could
> afford to see what this open carpet program can do. It started to work

Open-Carpet is actually more for running a Red-Carpet server.  It can
generate the required Metadata.

If you are just a user wanting to use red-carpet for updating, you simply
need install red-carpet for RH9, and then do:

rug service-add http://open-carpet.org

To add in the open-carpet.org's servers.  Next, you need to subscribe to
some channels, either from rug (command-line client), or from the
red-carpet-gui.

> until I got so far into using the installation. I then got some error
> with red-carpet bombing.

I don't follow here.  You were installing red-carpet and it bombed?  I
hope you weren't trying to install Ximian Desktop 2 on fedora, I suspect
that would result in an almost unfixable mess.

> I'll google for the link to the program.

Information on open-carpet:
http://www.open-carpet.org

The version of Red-carpet you need to use is:
ftp://ftp.ximian.com/pub/redcarpet2/redhat-9-i386/

If you have an older version installed, make sure you restart the rcd
service after installing the new version, as the cilents and daemon aren't
compatible between 1.4.x and 2.x.

Now I just wish Red-Carpet had it's own rhn-applet-gui sort of thing.  Of
course, I also wish that rcd could directly read YUM and APT repos, but I
am braking up the wrong tree to mention that on this list.

 -- noah silva