numlock at boot

Martin Stricker shugal at gmx.de
Thu Oct 2 19:10:39 UTC 2003

Owen Taylor wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 19:36, Paul Morgan wrote:

> > It is truly unusual for me to not include at least one numeral in
> > my passwords, though usually I use more than one numeral.
>
> I think using the num keypad for a segment of text with a few
> embedded numbers is pretty unusual. Of course, there is room for
> all sorts of different keyboarding preferences :-)

The company I work for uses login names composed of the user's initials
and a 6-digit numerical code. I want numlock on by default for that!

> > How about:
> >
> > in /etc/sysconfig/keyboard: numlock=on|off|bios|last
> > (on at boot, off at boot, per bios, or "the way it was when you
> > shut down")
>
> As I said earlier, I'm not opposed to this ... I just don't think
> it solves the problem for *most* users. They'll never find / bother
> to find the setting. I'm a X/desktop guy, so I tend to concentrate
> on solutions there; the console is a different world, and one
> that is typically a lot harder to get right.
>
> If somebody wanted to implement an /etc/sysconfig, that sounds
> like a reasonable contribution to me.

I consider Paul Morgan's proposal as being The Right Way To Do It(TM).
;-))) This should be bugzilla'ed as RFE! And if you look in the file
manager of your choice, you'll find a directory /etc/sysconfig with some
really useful files in all more recent versions of Red Hat Linux.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Red Hat Linux 8.0 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/