Graphical boot issues: a.o. graphical boot twice slower then text boot!!!

Jaap A. Haitsma jaap_haitsma at zonnet.nl
Sun Oct 5 11:47:45 UTC 2003

Hi,

I've installed Severn including all the updates (except Mozilla because
mozilla mail seems to freeze according to all the posts on this list
after updating) on my laptop (A Dell Latitude C600).

First thing I noticed that booting was a lot slower (I even thought the
init script was frozen). Then I changed the GRAPHICAL_BOOT variable in
/etc/syconfig/init to no. Booting time reduced from 2 minutes till 1 minute.

The problem seems to be the kudzu service, which probes for new devices.
If I disable the kudzu service a graphical boot takes also 1 minute.

Anybody experiencing the same thing?

Other problem with graphical boot, when I push "I" for an interactive
init the system freezes after completing about 25% of the progress bar

Another feature I would like to see in the graphical boot that it gives
feedback when something fails. I made a small mistake when entering my
USB pen-drive in /etc/fstab: I forgot the noauto option. So the text
boot was complaining that it didn't see the pen drive when I didn't have
it plugged in. The graphical boot didn't say anything

Jaap