[FEDORA] Browsing Samba in Nautilus

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Fri Oct 10 17:40:46 UTC 2003

Christopher A. Williams wrote:

>On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 22:22, Santiago Erquicia wrote:
>

>>I disabled the firewall completely and now it's working.  When I
>>selected eth0 only as trusted didn't work.
>>
>>On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 21:44, alton bailey wrote:
>>

>>>check your firewall setting and enable the check box beside eth0 and also
>>>enable firewall and test it again
>>>alton
>>>

>This did not work for me at all. Didn't really expect it to either
>though. I figured if I can see things from a command prompt via
>smbclient -L <server name>, then the firewall is not the issue anyway.
>
>This is frustrating for sure.

try this:

$ nmblookup -M -- -
querying __MSBROWSE__ on 192.168.101.255
192.168.101.12 __MSBROWSE__<01>

if you have an MasterBrowser  smb:///  works

do you have ?
encrypt password = yes

if you have multiple interfaces you need evtl something like this:
interfaces = 192.168.0.0/24 192.168.10.0/24

vmware?
$ cat /etc/vmware/vmnet1/smb/smb.conf

give samba 5-6 minutes to become the MasterBrowser
check it with
# tail -f /var/log/samba/nmbd.log

under rh8.0 samba became immediately MBrowser
under FC-test2 samba needs 5-6 minutes to start this election

try it with different settings, here is my result under fc-test2

;encrypt  ;interfaces  -->  no smb:///
encrypt  ;interfaces  -->  smb:/// works  after 5-6 min
encrypt  interfaces  -->  smb:/// works  after 5-6 min

not sure;
afair there was a bug-report that a w2k-domain was not reachable because
the samba-server became always MBrowser with the default-settings.
this is evtl the reason that samba will wait now 5-6 minutes  ;-)

good luck

--
shrek-m