XFree86 available via yum

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Tue Oct 14 07:30:24 UTC 2003

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:

>>>Downloaded via http using mozilla, and installed.
>>

>> Interesting, because it isn't available for download via http.
>> ;o)
>
>One thing that I never understood is the difference between
>ftp://people.redhat.com and http://people.redhat.com

The ftp:// URL uses the FTP protocol, and the http:// URL uses
the HTTP protocol.  Additionally, the user roots of both of these
are in separate locations, so a file appearing at an ftp:// URL
will not be at an http:// URL because they are different
protocols with different storage locations on the hard disk
arrays.  Some developers may or may not hardlink the files to
make them available in both locations.  Personally, I favour ftp,
as it works with commandline ncftp, etc. and I dislike using text
web browsers in place of commandline ftp clients...  ;o)