Question about dual-booting two versions of RedHat

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Wed Oct 15 13:29:15 UTC 2003

I've not done this with 2 Linux systems on the same physical hard drive,
but I install multiple Linux systems onto different hard drives in the
same machine fairly routinely. I think that might prove simpler in the
long run for you. You need a good understanding of how to use the grub
bootloader.

*Install linux version #1 on the first drive, for example on /dev/hda.
With this install, hav grub installed as your bootloader.

*Install linux version #2 on your second drive, for example /dev/hdb.

Note: you may have to manipulate disk labels using e2label and
/etc/fstab files to point to the right disk labels for the system. The
anaconda installer has a problem where it will not let you assign a root
partition with a mount point other than '/'. On this kind of
installation you need to name the mount point '/1' or similar.

Anaconda will try to steal the swap partition on your first drive. This
can trigger swap activation problems at boot time.

During this install, do not install a bootloader. You do not need one
since grub is already installed.

* Now edit the file /boot/grub/grub.conf in your first installation.
Enter a new menu choice that points to the second system you just
installed on /dev/hdb. In this case the incantation

root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-xxx.yyy.zzz ro root=LABEL=/1 [other kernel options here]
initrd /initrd-xxx.yyy.zzz.img

where you replace xxx.yyy.zzz with your specific filenames and LABEL=/1
with the name of the root partition label for hdb (that is, point it to
the / partition on that drive) will apply.

Reboot, select the Grub entry for your second Linux system, and it
should boot normally.

Bob

--
Bob Cochran