New extra packages and yum repository

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Oct 15 20:20:47 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 16:04, Noah Silva [Mailing list] wrote:
> I'd like to see the RSS-GLX included in redhat, or at least one of the
> fedora servers.. I have seen rss-gls packages by at least one other
> person, and by Ximian too...
>
> > - rss-glx-0.7.6-1 (screen savers, need new ImageMagick packages from
>
> If we're going to ship screen savers, we may as well ship good ones...

The default screen saver setting in past versions of Red Hat is *lousy*
because the following often happens:

  1) it randomly cycles through the default list which includes
     all screen savers

  2) on many machines the OpenGL drivers are flaky

  3) after some (random) time period, an OpenGL screen saver is
     run which exercises the flaky OpenGL driver and causes a
     crash

  4) the (often inexperienced) user then can't figure out why
     his/her workstation has locked up while they were *away*
     from the machine.

Note that this is a fairly common scenario.

Please do one or more of the following:

  1) turn off OpenGL screensavers by default

  2) warn users about the above when they explicitly turn on
     OpenGL screen savers

thanks,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com