Up2date hangs at Testing Package Set

Andy Green fedora at warmcat.com
Mon Oct 20 12:11:20 UTC 2003

On Monday 20 October 2003 11:50, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

> Yep! I was on the XP beta, and also on 2000 and Me :-)
> Back from the dark side? ;-)

I had an epiphany ~3 years ago when I was on the phone to MSFT being asked to
explain to them why I was reactivating my complimentary copy of XP before
they would give me a new activation code.  I was putting it on another
machine that would live under the stairs and do fileserving, but what
possible business was it of a corporation like MSFT?  They gave me the code
in the end, but I nuked it and put RH7.3 on it.  Since then they never had
another penny from me and I don't think they ever will, nor will I support
their betas.  If I am going to fiddle with software problems better to
support OSS.  I still have XP on a vmware "partition" because I have two
electronics design apps I must use that cannot work under wine or Crossover
Office.  But their whole platform is legacy, superceded by Linux already.

> I have been suffering from the behavior you describe sometimes in the
> past. However, after uprading to the latest up2date version in Rawhide,
> I've unable to reproduce any hangs or misbehavior. Cross fingers!

Seems to me its to do with the current state of installed rpms, sounds like
you have a good working set of them and I didn't.  I guess I'll find out next
time there's some new stuff in rawhide, since I am fully up to date at the
moment.

> /var/spool/up2date directory. I'll try using the GUI up2date for a while
> to see if it keeps downloading the wrong architecture files.

I think it was fixed in an update of up2date at some point, hard to tell if
the problem was in the repository or app.

-Andy