Fedora Core test3 on Latitude D800 [report]

Lauri Jutila lists at reforge.fi
Tue Oct 21 11:49:21 UTC 2003

> Hmm...  that is very very odd.  The mouse cursor is either
> "software" in which it uses generic X server code to implement a
> mouse cursor which gets drawn directly into the framebuffer, or
> it is a "hardware" cursor, which is implemented usually in the
> video hardware itself and overlaid on top of the framebuffer via
> the DAC or another mechanism, and requires special video driver
> support, which most drivers currently support.
>
> Both the software and hardware cursor support shouldn't in any
> way depend on which kernel is installed.  If you are using Red
> Hat supplied open source video drivers, I would expect the mouse
> cursor to work identically regardless of which kernel is in use.

My GPU is GeForce4 4200 Go w/ 64MB. I've been using open source Nvidia
drivers that ship with XFree86 and with those drivers, I've had the
problem.

Here are three samples images:
http://jutila.net/img/cursor-1.jpg
http://jutila.net/img/cursor-2.jpg
http://jutila.net/img/cursor-3.jpg

I grabbed latest Nvidia's own binary drivers from their website,
compiled and installed it, and lo and behold, the problem has
disappeared.

Could DRI cause this problem on my hardware? Anyway, if you need more
information, just ask for it.

Regards,

--
Lauri Jutila