PROFTPD

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Oct 23 07:18:00 UTC 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Res wrote:

>> Because we haven't had problems with vsftpd, and it's had both
>> a good stability and performance record in our use. (i.e., if
>> it isn't broken, don't fix it...)
>
>One problem Bill, vsftpd is useless in a virtual situation where you have
>multiple customers, one copy of the program and a config file for each
>customer, with proftpd we do it with just 1 sole config file, not with
>hundreds of them.
>
>Though, we do run vsftpd on our anonymous ftpd cause it doesnt have to
>do anything else :)

I think the general thing we're trying to get across is that we
do not have the engineering resources to package and maintain 15
ftp daemons, SMTP daemons, web servers, imap daemons, etc. and
also audit them, track their security flaws and major bugs and
provide proper and timely updates when such flaws are found, and
provide the level of support for them that would be needed for
them to be in Fedora Core.  We just don't have 5000 engineers
here twiddling their thumbs looking for new applications with
major security flaws to fix and release updates for.

Everyone has different needs, and no single software package is
likely to satisfy every single person's needs.  That's just the
way it is unfortunately.  And so we look at the software that is
out there, and decide which one or two packages of a given type
we will ship and support based on various factors.  Our choices
are intended to be what we believe to be the best software for
the largest audience of people out there, balancing security,
reliability, stability, and features.  Nonetheless, our choices
are likely to have features missing that some other piece of
software that exists out there has.  It'll always be like that.
We can't ship every piece of software that exists in the OSS
world and support it.

Since we can't support every piece of software out there, we have
to make choices of what we will support based on various factors
that are part of our own decision making process.  People can
certainly make suggestions of course, those are always welcome,
and in fact people suggested vsftpd at one point, and eventually
it made it into the distribution.  Likewise for dovecot, and
numerous other pieces of software.  However, there is a limit to
what we will put in the distribution and support.

Software which is not part of the distribution but which a
significantly large number of users out there are interested in
having, is a prime candidate for Fedora Extras as Bill stated.

The idea behind Fedora Extras, is that Red Hat will ship and
support a certain set of software packages with the distribution
"Fedora Core" and things that aren't accepted into the Core, but
which other people want bad enough, are candidates to be
considered for Fedora Extras if someone outside of Red Hat wants
to maintain the packages, and is technically proficient enough to
do so and meet whatever packaging standards and whatnot are
decided upon.

This way, people can have more of the programs they
need/love/want/prefer/etc. and the burden isn't on Red Hat to
hire 1000 more people to package the stuff and try to support it
when the alternative software largely is duplicating the
functionality of one or more existing packages in the
distribution "plus one feature I need".

Hope this explains things a bit more in depth from an insider
viewpoint.