Compiling NVIDIA driver for -ntpl kernel

Fri Oct 24 19:07:42 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 13:56, Elton Woo wrote:
> On October 24, 2003 12:02 am, Christopher A. Williams , <"Christopher A.
> Williams" <chrisw01 at privatei.com>> wrote:
>
> > > OR " sh -add-{name of current kernel} etc..." I mean is "this-kernel"
> > > a placeholder for the current kernel, or should I type that command
> > > as shown?
> >
> > Just in case it hasn't been answered by someone else by now, the answer
> > is to type this command exactly:
> >
> > ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run --add-this-kernel
> >
> > This is assuming you have that particular build of the NVidia driver. It
> > will create a custom install file called:
> >
> > NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2-custom.run
> >
> > You can then install per regular NVidia instructions with that custom
> > file.
> Yours is the clearest explanation which I have received so far.
> I'll save this for future reference. Thanks.
>
> Elton ;-)

Don't forget to remove the Mesa-LibGL rpm before doing that.

Use:

rpm -e --nodeps XFree86-Mesa-libGL

You will need to do that before running both of the NVidia install
processes and will need to repeat that when there are XFree86 and kernel
updates.

Also, I have found that removing the Mesa-libGL will cause some
dependency issues when using up2date. So be aware that you may need to
uninstall it again after some updates.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz