Testing current rawhide... (LVM snapshots)

Stuart Children stuart at terminus.co.uk
Fri Oct 31 14:13:51 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 11:26:02AM -0700, Dax Kelson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 07:49, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
> > In particular, the 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl kernel is a new build and
> > could use hammering,
>
> Are LVM snapshots with ext3 working now? I would test but I no
> environment to do so in at this exact moment.
>
> They worked in RHL8.0, and having been broken in RHL9 the whole time.
>
> I noticed that the taroon RHEL kernel got a fix from Tweedie for LVM
> snapshots on ext3 back in August.

I've no idea whether RH have applied the patch or not I'm afraid. However,
in case you aren't aware of it already, the issue is described briefly
here:
http://www.kerneltraffic.org/kernel-traffic/kt20031027_238.html#4

In short, it's a general problem with journaled filesystms and lvm in
current 2.4 kernels. There is a patch around (not linked from the above
URL unfortunately). It hasn't been included in the mainstream kernel
yet, but will be in a future release (after 2.4.23).

HTH

--
Stuart