numlock at boot

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Wed Oct 1 21:11:34 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 16:46, John P Verel wrote:
> On 10/01/03 16:28 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > For people who want this feature - I'm wondering if simply having
> > the desktop make the value persistant would be a good solution?
>
> An easy way to do this is simply respect the BIOS setting on the
> machine.

That seems like a poor solution:

 A) In a company, users may not have access to their BIOS

 B) Public workstations (and home computers) may have multiple
    users with different preferences

 C) Having to reboot and trigger the BIOS to fix:

    "I'm really annoyed that I have to change the NumLock
     every time I boot up"

    Is not particularly convenient.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this comment and the BIOS magically
tracks the current state when the machine is powered off;
but even so, that doesn't help with B).

Would it hurt if we honored the BIOS setting when booting into
the console? Would it hurt if that setting got carried into
the initial login screen? No.

But I think that making the desktop remember the setting is
both a lot easier to implement and more convenient for most
users.

Regards,
					Owen