Stopping VMware from complaining about DGA

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org
Wed Oct 1 22:12:28 UTC 2003

Hi!

I'm trying to consolidate two real machines into a single, big-iron box
by using VMware. The idea is that both virtual machines are brought up
automatically when the system starts up, automatically, with no user
intervention.

I feel VMware has a real, serious limitation, and it's the fact that it
requires an X session to run. I want to virtualize two servers running
text-only mode Linux, but since VMware requires X, I've set up Xvnc and
configured it to automatically start up a twm-based Xvnc session under a
non-privileged user. The problem is that the virtual machines don't
start up completely since the !@#!$%^ VMware keeps complaining that the
virtual machine can't run in full screen mode since it doesn't support
DGA. Dismissing the non-sense warning brings another one complaning that
it could not obtain modelines information from the X server.

Does anyone have a clue on how to convince VMware that I'm not
virtualizing Windows, that I don't need fullscreen capabilities, that I
don't need, don't have and don't want DGA, and that no, I don't need a
mouse instead of having to trick VMware and point the mouse to
/dev/null? Does anyone have a clue on how can I *disable* those stupid
warnings?

How come! How can anyone try to virtualize a server farm if the VM
software is complaining about trivial things? ;)

Uhmm! Maybe I'll need to turn to User-Mode-Linux.

Thanks!

PS: What about VMware GSX? Is it a "little bit smarter" than VMware? Is
there any other virtualization software that doesn't assume you will
want to run a GUI-based, mouse-based, full-screen-based, crash-prone
operating system?