numlock at boot

Paul Morgan paul.morgan at jumanjihouse.com
Thu Oct 2 01:05:59 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 19:45, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > in /etc/sysconfig/keyboard: numlock=on|off|bios|last
> > (on at boot, off at boot, per bios, or "the way it was when you shut
> > down")
>
> As I said earlier, I'm not opposed to this ... I just don't think
> it solves the problem for *most* users. They'll never find / bother
> to find the setting. I'm a X/desktop guy, so I tend to concentrate
> on solutions there; the console is a different world, and one
> that is typically a lot harder to get right.

redhat-config-keyboard (fedora-config-keyboard?) or other gui app that
modifies the config files (in the grand tradition)?

> If somebody wanted to implement an /etc/sysconfig, that sounds
> like a reasonable contribution to me.

hmmmmmm. off the top of my head, it seems it would require only minor
change to rc.sysinit but probably a more significant change to mingetty.
i'll have to look at the license for numlockx but that could be modified
to look at the config files, too. hmmm....