Anyone working on a Feodore release for X86-64 ?

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Thu Oct 2 13:27:21 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 07:53:20AM -0500, Justin M. Forbes wrote:
 > Actually, I started working with the currend Fedora test2 kernel last
 > night to see what it needed, as everything else is ready. It will be alot
 > of work with the Fedora kernel, but perhaps not impossible.

Sure. I took a quick look-see a few days ago, and it fell over in a few
places..
- nptl
- O(1) scheduler
- exec-shield.

It'd likely take Ingo a day or so to get these fixed up, everything else
is likely 5 minute fixes.  Ingotime is a precious resource however, so
unless he got bored some time, someone else would likely have to fill in.

 > I guess the
 > question to the group is, should the AMD64 Fedora Core use 2.6test,
 > or should we keep it current with i386 Fedora Core?

My personal feeling is for AMD64, go straight to 2.6
By the time AMD64 is common-place, I'd expect 2.6.0 to be final.
And in the meantime, Fedora runs just fine in 32bit mode (I test it
daily) on AMD64 hardware.

 > The last option would be
 > to use a vanilla 2.4.21 kernel and add what patches we can to be as close
 > to RH Fedora 2.4.21 as possible.

I had toyed with the idea of making the offending patches dependant upon
arch in the specfile, but sanity got the better of me. I think it's
better to just focus on 2.6. Forking another 2.4 branch seems like a lot
of wasted effort which would be better spent trying to get 2.6 stable.

		Dave

--
 Dave Jones     http://www.codemonkey.org.uk