Anyone working on a Feodore release for X86-64 ?

Justin M. Forbes 64bit_fedora at comcast.net
Thu Oct 2 15:38:25 UTC 2003

My only real concern here is that with the release of Athlon64 now, AMD64
hardware will be moving out there at a faster rate.  The only other linux
option for this class of user is Suse 9.0 next month, and Mandrake 9.2
when it is released. Even Suse is priced at $119 for AMD64.  I would like
to see a Fedora 64bit alternative available.  If that is based on 2.6test,
I am not too concerned about stability, and certainly have no problems
with maintaining errata for it as I know you are keeping more current than
just errata.  Stability is pretty good in most cases with 2.6test as it
is.  This however leaves AMD64 without a 64bit real Fedora Core release
until Fedora Core 2, even if it would not be Red Hat Official.

What I would propose is doing Fedora Core release and Beta with 2.6test,
and as I get time look at fixing the Fedora kernel with AMD64 and making
it available as an option. I still have to work out distribution and
errata/extras support for AMD64 anyway.

One last question as I am packaging all of this, I have seen postings
about moving arch from x86_64 to AMD64.  Will Red Hat be making this move,
and should I start to work on that as well for release?

Justin M. Forbes