First experiences with fedora 0.94

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Oct 2 20:46:45 UTC 2003

Hi,

here are my first experiences and problems with 0.94.  Some of these
were also in 0.93.

a) installer doesn't respect keyboard choice
b) firstboot doesn't respect keyboard choice
c) my fedora splash (the gnome splash screen) was blocking for a very
long time on evolution-alarm-notify
d) I have NO MENUS.  NO MENUS at all.  I have no idea why.  Does anyone
know what I can run to recreate them ?
e) For some reason, the heads of my Matrox 550 card are switched
around.  I have no idea why this is; my first head (the one with xv) is
now on the right, the second on the left, and I see no way in my X
config of turning this around.  Any clues here would be appreciated.

For now I've switched Leftof to Rightof in the server layout.  This
makes my screens line up correctly, but the right head is the
"preferred" one; it gets the gdm login screen, the panel, and so on.  If
I go back to my RH9 install, the left screen will again be head 0.

If I move the panel in my fedora beta install to the left, it will be on
the right in my regular rh9 install.  Very confusing and irritating :)

f) the redhat-config-xfree86 "multihead" tab is funny.

I think a) and b) are pretty critical, and they have bugs in bugzilla,
but it seems to be non-obvious (something about the alternate X server
using the special framebuffer lib not respecting xbg and the file system
being readonly at that time...

Where do I start in getting these fixed before release ?

Thomas

Dave/Dina : future TV today ! - http://davedina.apestaart.org/
When I said I understood
I only knew where to stand