text vs. graphical boot

Jim - 815 beta redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Fri Oct 3 02:00:21 UTC 2003

Michael K. Johnson wrote:

>On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 11:07:27PM -0500, stephan schutter wrote:
>

>>Are you planning to cover the ugly/scary/intimidating/non-desktopish
>>kernel boot with a splash screen ala Mandrake, SuSE, Lindows, Lycoris,
>>Xandros, et. al?
>>

>I'd rather work on cleaning up the boot messages so they aren't
>so scary -- there's a lot of noise there IMHO.  But that part
>really only takes a couple of seconds...
>
>If we do a graphical kernel splash, it's got to be as decent code
>that stands a good chance of acceptance upstream.  As I mentioned
>before, that doesn't include grovelling through memory looking for
>something that resembles a JPEG file.
>
>michaelkjohnson
>
> "He that composes himself is wiser than he that composes a book."
> Linux Application Development                     -- Ben Franklin
> http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/

I'd like to see some sort of process messages going on with the boot.
Even just having a process name showing on the graphical boot would cue
people better into if the system is locked or proceeding normally.

Not having an indication of the systems activity is distracting to me. I
saw the OK (green) and failed (red) process prompts on Slackware, before
seeing them on Red Hat releases.
Instead of a twirling monkey or Fedora. These tire quickly. As the bar
for the other OS. I would like to see something along the lines of a
stop light (Red - failed, green succeeded or yellow for in-process) with
the process name.

Even a Fedora type of hat, with the process being displayed as the
emblem, changing with the process status. (Any color you'd like to
present).

I like the text messages, but can understand that too much information
is alarming to some users.

Jim