First experiences with fedora 0.94

Matthias Saou matthias at rpmforge.net
Fri Oct 3 10:00:47 UTC 2003

Thomas Vander Stichele wrote :

> a) installer doesn't respect keyboard choice
> b) firstboot doesn't respect keyboard choice

That's indeed quite a problem, but already reported. Will there be a fix in
a newer update image?
http://people.redhat.com/~msf/

> c) my fedora splash (the gnome splash screen) was blocking for a very
> long time on evolution-alarm-notify

I've been having this problem, sort of randomly, with Rawhide for a while
now. The splash screen getting stuck for up to a minute or two... at first
on all workspaces, but later (updated GNOME packages) only on the first
one, so I could actually start working on others until it went away. Talk
about a clean workaround! ;-) My current one it to have disabled entirely
the splash screen...

> d) I have NO MENUS.  NO MENUS at all.  I have no idea why.  Does anyone
> know what I can run to recreate them ?

I have no idea, sorry. Speaking of menus, I had this in a desktop entry :

Categories=Application;AudioVideo;X-Red-Hat-Extra

Well, it didn't show up in the menu, but validated fine with the
"desktop-file-validate" tool. When I changed to :

Categories=Application;AudioVideo;X-Red-Hat-Extra;

(note the trailing ";"), it appeared fine again. I don't know which of the
GNOME panel or the freedesktop tool is wrong on this one, but at least one
obviously is!

Matthias

Fedora Core release 0.94 (Severn) - Linux kernel 2.4.22-20.1.2024.2.36.nptl
Load : 0.01 0.17 0.19