severin login failure after updating today

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 3 17:27:08 UTC 2003

I updated to all packages in today's update.

Now, when severn starts, instead of getting GDM, I get a message"

"The greeter program appears to be crashing.  I will attempt to use a
different one."

I get a different login screen that says "Welcome" and log in.

Then I get a message:

"Cannont find or run the base session script, will try Gnome failsafe
session for you."

Then I get a message:

"This is the Failsafe Gnome session.  You will be logged into the
"Default" session of Gnome with no startup scripts run.  This is only to
fix problems in your installation."

It then logs me into my normal Gnome desktop, but I have no clue how to
fix the problem.

Does anyone else?

Thanks.

Gerry Tool