nvidia and severn2 -- an alternative

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Sat Oct 4 21:12:02 UTC 2003

On October 4, 2003 04:03 pm, Robert P. J. Day <"Robert P. J. Day"
<rpjday at mindspring.com>> wrote:
>   rather than messing with CC=gcc32 or IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH, here's an
> alternative way of installing your nvidia drivers (at least, it works for
> me, so i'm open to corrections/clarifications).
>
>   download the latest nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com,
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run.  don't try to install it, just extract
> it into a directory with:
>
>   $ sh NV...run --extract-only
>
> now, as root, "cd" into that directory and just run "make install".  that
> should build the driver and install it. because you're actually compiling
> the driver, you're pretty likely to not have to worry about any compiler
> mismatches.
I guess this is a less "painful" way of installing the driver. Would I
be correct in thinking, then, that I don't need to boot to runlevel 3,
bla, bla, but instead, simply re-edit my X86Config file as usual?

Thanks for this great tip!

Elton ;-)
"You only live once: let's make life BETTER for each other."
LINUX User #193975 [AMD ATHLON CPU] ICQ #149608718.