nvidia and severn2 -- an alternative

John Alexander Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Sat Oct 4 22:28:14 UTC 2003

On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 05:27:34PM -0400, Elton Woo wrote:
> ]# make install
> cd usr/src/nv; make install
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/home/abe/INSTALL/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2/usr/src/nv'
>
> You appear to be compiling the NVIDIA kernel module with
> a compiler different from the one that was used to compile
> the running kernel. This may be perfectly fine, but there
> are cases where this can lead to unexpected behaviour and
> system crashes.
>
> If you know what you are doing and want to override this
> check, you can do so by setting IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH.
>
> In any other case, set the CC environment variable to the
> name of the compiler that was used to compile the kernel.
>
> With this kernel, it will NOT accept eport gcc=Gcc32, but only
> "export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1".

First off, the line should be
"export GCC=gcc32"

Capitalization is important.
Secondly, you need to make sure that the gcc32 package is installed
for "export GCC=gcc32" to work.  Fedora Core doesn't install it by
default, or at least doesn't add it to upgrades by default.  Of course,
gcc32 also needs to be in your PATH, but that shouldn't be a problem
since it lands in /usr/bin anyway.

I'm certain that "export GCC=gcc32" works perfectly on default Fedora
Core with the NVIDIA drivers.  I've done it.

John Thacker