Graphical boot issues: a.o. graphical boot twice slower then text

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Sun Oct 5 12:37:25 UTC 2003

> Hi,
>
> I've installed Severn including all the updates (except Mozilla because
> mozilla mail seems to freeze according to all the posts on this list
> after updating) on my laptop (A Dell Latitude C600).

  The Thursday updates broke Mozilla (and Mozilla mail) for a lot of people
including me.  The Friday updates fixed it for me.  I don't know whether it
was the Mozilla updates specifically, or some other update on Friday.  I also
don't know if it's fixed for everyone else.

> First thing I noticed that booting was a lot slower (I even thought the
> init script was frozen). Then I changed the GRAPHICAL_BOOT variable in
> /etc/syconfig/init to no. Booting time reduced from 2 minutes till 1 minute.
>
> The problem seems to be the kudzu service, which probes for new devices.
> If I disable the kudzu service a graphical boot takes also 1 minute.
>
> Anybody experiencing the same thing?

  I haven't noticed any difference in boot time between text and graphical,
though I didn't time it.

> Other problem with graphical boot, when I push "I" for an interactive
> init the system freezes after completing about 25% of the progress bar
>
> Another feature I would like to see in the graphical boot that it gives
> feedback when something fails. I made a small mistake when entering my
> USB pen-drive in /etc/fstab: I forgot the noauto option. So the text
> boot was complaining that it didn't see the pen drive when I didn't have
> it plugged in. The graphical boot didn't say anything
>
> Jaap

  Since the X display has more resolution, the graphical boot has the
potential to provide more information.  However, what is usually done is to
use the graphical boot to _hide_ information, for warmth and fuzziness.
This should be an option if people want it, but it would also be nice if
the graphical boot could be configured to display lots of info including
every ugly error that occurs.  I would use the graphical boot if this was
possible.  Also, unless there's some issue I'm not aware of, the shutdown
should be the same type as the bootup, for symmetry.  Right now, it appears
that shutdown only has text mode.