Graphical boot issues: a.o. graphical boot twice slower then text

Rainer Hattenhauer Rainer.Hattenhauer at t-online.de
Sun Oct 5 13:07:11 UTC 2003

>Since the X display has more resolution, the graphical boot has the
>potential to provide more information.  However, what is usually done is to
>use the graphical boot to _hide_ information, for warmth and fuzziness.
>This should be an option if people want it, but it would also be nice if
>the graphical boot could be configured to display lots of info including
>every ugly error that occurs.  I would use the graphical boot if this was
>possible.  Also, unless there's some issue I'm not aware of, the shutdown
>should be the same type as the bootup, for symmetry.  Right now, it appears
>that shutdown only has text mode.

The SuSE guys have included the possibility to press F2 during boot up /
shutdown of the system, so every old fashioned guy (like me) who wants to
see the boot / shutdown messages is able to see them in a window included in
the graphical area. I don't know if they are holding a software patent for
this  issue, like others do for scroll bars ;-)

Perhaps one could include this to the fedora bootup, too.

Rainer