Supporting NTFS in the kernel

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sun Oct 5 13:54:25 UTC 2003

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 02:55:21PM +0200, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
 > I would like it very much if the standard kernel would include the read
 > driver for NTFS

Won't happen due to potential patent problems.

 > The write driver still seems to be experimental/dangerous
 > SuSe is boasting that SuSe Linux 9.0 will support both read and write of
 > NTFS.  Did they write their own driver?

No, SuSE just have a 'worry about it later' attitude about potential
patent violations. (Though with current laws on software patents being
passed in Europe, it'll be interesting to watch if their position changes).
They also distribute mp3 players, media players for various formats etc.
NTFS is just one tiny piece they distribute that is unlikely to ever
appear in Fedora-Core.  Fedora-non-US or some equivalent one day maybe..

		Dave

--
 Dave Jones     http://www.codemonkey.org.uk