tailored message on gdm greeter screen

Paul Morgan paul.morgan at jumanjihouse.com
Mon Oct 6 21:58:32 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 13:00, Gene C. wrote:
> I would like to put a tailored message on the gdm graphical greeter screen to
> indicate just which version of the system I am running -- I have multiple
> version installed on the same hardware and it is sometimes not clear which is
> running/has been booted.
>
> I tried using the Systems Settings/Login Screen tool for gdm setting but
> changing messages there seems to have no effect.
>
> Any ideas/tips?

Have you looked at /usr/share/gdm/themes/Bluecurve/Bluecurve.xml.in (or
its progeny /usr/share/gdm/themes/Bluecurve/Bluecurve.xml)?

You could probably call a small script from rc.local in which you use
sed to insert the current version or other info into the greeter.

Aside: is it documented somewhere which variables are allowed in this
xml file (similar to %h)?

This appears to be a them-specific configuration, so...

hth -paul