Why the .org on OpenOffice

Thiago Vinhas de Moraes tvinhas at techbyte.com.br
Wed Oct 8 13:19:34 UTC 2003

Em Qua, 2003-10-08 às 10:14, Dennis Gilmore escreveu:

> > the product name? It would be a lot more professional if the name was
> > "OpenOffice 1.1" instead of "OpenOffice.org 1.1" don't you think?
>
> Probably yes  but someone else  owns the copyright for the name open office
> so  they couldnt use that  leggally it has to be OpenOffice.org not
> OpenOffice.  someone  who knows more on who owns the Open Office name  and
> the whole situation   could perhaps  fill in the blanks

Maybe I'm just a dreamer, but if that's the problem, why don't we create
a fund to buy the Open Office name from its owner? Maybe all the
OpenOffice.org users helping with $10, could create an expressive fund.
That's the magic of the open source community. If we stay together, and
work together we can do anything we want.

Regards,
Thiago