[FEDORA] Re: New RHGB in rawhide

John Alexander Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Wed Oct 8 23:26:48 UTC 2003

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 06:57:58PM -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 18:41, Erik Englund wrote:
> > but seriously, it really should be installed if you upgrade. i choose to
> > install all packages when i installed rhl9 so it really should install
> > all packages when i upgrade too! is there any more high technological
> > packages missing if i updated from rhl9? =)
>
> How is it supposed to be known that you had "all packages" installed.
> What if you installed all packages but then removed two or three --
> bringing those back on an upgrade would be kind of rude.
>
> How I wish there were an easy answer to this problem :(

Well, the Release Notes does contain that section on Package Changes.  So
long as the list is fairly small, it should be possible to use that
information to give the user a chance to add packages that have been
added to the new release.  One could also add an option to remove
packages that have been removed from the distribution, though that can
be more dangerous.

Perhaps I'm wrong about what's involved, but why isn't that a relatively
easy answer to the problem?  Just limit it to the "new stuff."

John Thacker