DRI missing!

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Oct 9 09:33:37 UTC 2003

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Bjorn Andersen wrote:

>I have updated from rawhide, and is running XFree86-xx-4.3.0-34 and
>kernel-smp-2.4.22-1.2082.nptl on a Intel HT perl MB. I am using a MSI
>Gforce FX5600 with 256 mb ram.
>
>Now, after the update, im not able to play Unreal Tournament 2003. Not
>even with an older kernel (and non smp-kernels too). UT2003 are exiting
>with:
>
>Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
>GL_EXT_bgra not supported - bailing out.
>
>History:
>
>Exiting due to error
>
>I have the Nvidia driver installed, and i have played it before under
>Fedora test 2.
>
>Is it a bug in XFree ?

XFree86 does not, and has never supported DRI on any Nvidia video
hardware.  You will never have the DRI extension for any Nvidia
card using any video driver with XFree86.  The only way to get 3D
acceleration with the Nvidia hardware you have is to use Nvidia's
proprietary video drivers (which do not use DRI, but use their
own method of doing direct rendering), or to use some other 3rd
party proprietary driver.