advanced configuration options in redhar-config-xfree86

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Thu Oct 9 10:12:35 UTC 2003

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Alan Cox wrote:

>> redhat-config-xfree86 in RH9 has many advanced configurtion options -
>> ability to specify monitor refresh rates, DPI, video memory size, etc.
>>
>> Why all these options were removed in Fedora?
>
>videoram is still settable using the command line option only. That or
>someone forgot to update the texts. The DPI are still present in the
>program too (including the measure your monitor dialog).

Not for long...  ;o)

The Radeon driver will ignore any user specified VideoRAM setting
provided in the config file.  The "radeon" driver properly
autodetects video memory amount on all known and supported Radeon
video hardware, and the only usage of the VideoRAM option by
users has resulted in bogus bug reports for me and/or John to
troubleshoot, so the option is now killed for this driver.  The
option will be killed for other drivers in the future also.

My plan is to only allow the VideoRAM option to be used for
drivers to which there are known problems with detecting video
memory, and to restrict its usage to the specific problematic
hardware, and also to restrict the range of values to sensible
values that real hardware was released for.

There are only 3 valid uses of the VideoRAM setting aside from
that which I can think of:

1) The i8xx driver allows this option to specify how much system
memory is assigned for video memory on UMA systems.  That is
fine, and aparently works ok, and has proper limit checking to
ensure users can't say they have 128Mb of memory if the system
only permits say 64Mb.

2) User has bad video memory of which the bad memory is in the
upper 32Mb of a 64Mb card for example, and wants to limit video
memory to 32Mb in order to use the card safely.  This is a very
rare occurance, and few people are likely to realize they can
even do this.  In these cases they can recompile the driver, or
politely ask me to build them a custom driver if they like, and
I'd be more than glad to do so.  In the future, I'll probably
enhance the option to allow users to choose power-of-2 multiples
of memory less than the hardware's true amount within some
boundary for this.

3) Developers working on video drivers sometimes use this option
to limit video memory for various reasons such as testing
performance of thigns in less memory, etc.  - in this case,
they're a developer and can are compiling their own driver
anyway.

>Refresh rate is lacking - which is a problem because many
>countries have 72Hz health and safety minimums for workers using
>crt monitors and the tools dont seem to generate 72Hz or better
>in all cases they can automatically.

The refresh rate can be controlled via the xrandr commandline
tool, and the panel applet tool.  The refresh rate can be
restricted to 72Hz or higher, by making 72Hz the lower limit of
the vertical refresh in the config file (VertRefresh).

I definitely agree users should be able to choose their refresh
rate easily somehow, and that the default should be as high as
possible that the given hardware combination they're using.  The
X server automatically does that if the config file ranges are
specified correctly, but the user may want to limit the lower
limit to keep it within EU safety range.