3com 905 ethernet card problems

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Thu Oct 9 11:32:31 UTC 2003

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Pavel Rosenboim (pavelr at coresma.com) said:
>
>>I'm using 3com 905 (boomerang) ethernet card. In fedora it is completely
>>non-functional. Sometimes I see messages about transmit errors on the
>>console. This card works fine with 2.6.0-test6 kernel, but not with any
>>of Fedora kernels. Anyone see the same behavior?
>

> Yes, there are probably 5-10 instances of 3c59x failing completely
> in bugzilla; dunno what the issue is yet.
>
> Bill

It seems that a lot of people decided to switch out their cards. I don't
know how many users swapped cards and did not report the problems
encountered with the card.

My problem seemed that it was detected as the wrong card and the wrong
driver was installed for Severn and later kernels.

Severn was my first encounter with the card misbehaving fully. (Check
cable). I did have troubles starting GNOME with later nptl versions of
the kernel with RHL 9. I backed off to sticking with the latest released
kernels. (not even suspecting NIC related failures. Just a busting GNOME
with later kernels)

Jim

--
Blame Saint Andreas -- it's all his fault.