hotplugging, USB networking and the Zaurus

Anthony Joseph Seward anthony.seward at ieee.org
Thu Oct 9 15:12:53 UTC 2003

OK, I have things set up so that when I plug the USB cable from my
Zaurus into my laptop I get a working interface to the Zaurus.

My problem is that I may have to plug a USB network device in to the
laptop in order to comply with some physical security protocols at a
client site.

When the Zaurus is plugged in it registers with the next available USB
network interface device.  Since this is usually usb0, that is the
device name that I have been using for my network configuration.  This
will not work when I plug in at the client site.  I started looking into
configuring my USB hotplugging setup to determine which interface was
being plugged in.  I discovered, however, that the net hotplugging agent
gets called before the usb agent.  This seems backwards to me.  It also
means that I can't figure out how to properly set up the network
configuration file to handle connecting the Zaurus and USB net interface
in arbitrary order.

Is it a bug that the net agent is called first?

Any solutions?

Tony
--
Anthony Joseph Seward <anthony.seward at ieee.org>